Angels & Pinnacles offers a series of colour-coded trails across the Diocese of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, which covers most of the county of Suffolk. Walking and cycling trails featuring four remarkable churches are available for each colour cluster, or you can visit every church in the cluster at your own time and choosing. All Angels & Pinnacles churches are open daily year-round and welcome visitors.

Visit www.angelsandpinnacles.org.uk for more information!

288 AP Logo full

The Green Angels and Pinnacles Cluster

This cluster of churches in south Suffolk includes some of the finest in England. The area ranges from rolling countryside with half-timbered houses and towering wool churches in the west, to the wild river estuaries of the east. Four out of the six churches featured here appear in Simon Jenkins’s England’s Thousand Best Churches and are celebrated for their spectacular architecture and rich furnishings.

Clare - St Peter and St Paul

This beautiful building reflects the prosperity of Clare in the Middle Ages when the main trade was cloth-making. The exceptional height of the nave and the huge aisle windows allow the light to stream through the lavish arcades. Don't miss the gallery of 15th-century faces high above. The 18th-century ringers' gotch - a 32-pint clay jug - dates back to a time when the bell-ringers were paid in beer! Clare's ring of eight bells is said to be the heaviest in Suffolk.

Church Website          Find Church on Map

Stoke by Clare - St John the Baptist

From 1124 to 1415, this church was part of a Benedictine monastery. The monks were responsible for nearby Stoke College, and for diverting the River Stour to its present course. This would have been the priory church, parts of which remain today. A rare mid-16th-century wall painting is thought to have been a reredos for the south aisle altar. At just 20 inches in diameter, the 15th-century pulpit is one of the tightest in England!

Church Website          Find Church on Map

Cavendish - St Mary the Virgin

The handsome exterior of this church, with its impressive stair turret rising above the battlements of the 14th-century tower, reflects the town's great wealth in the Middle Ages. The priest would have had a room in the tower with a window looking on to the high altar.

Light pours in through the vast east window, and in the nave is this church's greatest treasure: a lavishly gilded altarpiece depicting the crucifixion, dating from the 16th century. Inside the tower is a display of 13 wooden crosses from the battlefields of the First World War.

Church Website          Find Church on Map

Kedington - St Peter and St Paul

This church (see also the banner image, above) is one of the historical treasures of East Anglia, virtually untouched by nineteenth-century restoration and stuffed full of fantastic monuments to the Barnardistons, Lords of the Manor from the 13th century until 1745. Step inside and wonder at the full complement of 16th-century furnishings - no wonder John Betjeman described it as "a village Westminster Abbey"! The discovery under the church floor of a Saxon cross (now set up in front of the east window) tells us that this was the site of an ancient church.

Church Website          Find Church on Map

Long Melford - Holy Trinity

One of England's most spectacular churches, this gorgeous building with its breathtaking architecture stands high above the village green. Before you enter, take time to wander down its vast 180 ft length to admire the exquisite flint flushwork. Inside, one of the church's greatest glories is the rare collection of medieval glass in the north aisle. Another is a 14th-century alabaster panel of the Adoration of the Magi thought to have been part of the altar before the Reformation. Simon Jenkins describes this church as "a treasure-house of English medieval art".

Church Website          Find Church on Map